In the previous post I finally showed you that old wagon wheel again which I bought in February, I worked on it on and off for about 3 months and in the end decided I really didn't like the finished look and I just put it away until I started decorating my IKEA shelf for the summer. So here's what happened to the wheel before it finally ended up on that shelf.I started by cleaning the metal frame, I just used sand paper on all the metal parts, dont worry it is normal for the metal to actually look more rusty than it did before.
Then I put masking tape on all the wood areas that are close to metal.
I used black paint to paint the frame and the metal in the middle. Actually now that I look at this again I think the wheel looks fine like this! But I didn't leave it alone...I had big plans for this baby...
So then I painted it off white...I didn't like that I either so I sanded it down to make it look old again but I still didn't like that so I started staining it with a walnut stain.