Friday, October 26, 2012

trick or treat!

Last week I ordered my first Halloween stamp set and the day I got it in the mail I saw this post on the waltzingmouse website using exactly the same stamps I'd ordered, so I was thrilled and busy the rest of the afternoon:)
These are called sour cream containers! They look like the sour cream containers you get at Wendy's when you order a baked potato:)

 They are super simple to make so let's get started:
You'll need paper (either designer paper or plain paper. I used both) cut at 4 1/4 inches X 5 1/2 inches (10,5cmX14cm).
 If you want you can decorate the plain paper using stamps.
 The most important thing you'll need to make the containers is strong double sided tape (scotch double face), make sure it isn't too thin either. Put double sided tape along both long sides and one short side.
 Roll you paper like a toilet paper roll and tape the short sides together.
 Then pinch the bottom together.
 This is what it should look like with one side shut:
 Next fill the container with candy!
 Now you want to turn the container and shut the top in the opposite way.
 Here's how it should look like in the end:
 Finish off by adding some black ribbon, a cute little label and I also used my black soot distress ink to make the whole thing look a bit spookier;)
 I've been giving them out to my kids friends and cousins and I think I probably need to make a few more:)

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

1st theme night/ladies night

Last week Tuesday I held a ladies night at our house. When fall arrives I usually really want to watch 'You've got mail', and it was no different this year so I thought I'd make a theme night out of it and invite my sisters in law and a few friends. We had a nice time chatting and then watching the movie together. for some it was their first time seeing the movie:)

 Here are the decorations I made or bought that worked nicely with the movie. Bouquet of sharpened pencils, daisies (aren't they just the friendliest flowers?), typewriter and some Anne of green gables books.
 I was inspired to organize this party after reading this post from a blogger called Nat the fat rat that I started following a couple months ago.
Hope to be organizing more such parties soon! Way less pressure than organizing a birthday party:)


I while back I made a set of greeting cards for my sister in law as a birthday gift. I used my spellbinders dies and the waltzingmouse stamps sets I had won back in march. Here are three cards I made for her. I have a really bad camera so even though I take pictures of most of my projects the pictures turn out so bad that I can't really post them on my blog.

 The background I stamped here is actually a cool border stamp which lines up perfectly to create a really nice background. And I love all the the french sentiment stamps that came in some of the sets because now that we're living in France again they are coming quite in handy:)
 I am in love with chicken wire, I love to use it in our home as well. I'll be posting some projects I've finished using chicken wire soon!
 Here's a card I made for my Grand-mother back in March as well. enjoy!

Monday, October 8, 2012

vintage industrial calendar

Hello blog world, I wanted to share a project with you that I whipped up last week. I came across this picture while I was looking for fun vintage industrial decoration ideas. Needless to say the price tag of 150 euros was not even worth considering but as soon as I saw it I knew I wanted one and I challenged myself to make one for under 20 euros. So here's my version:

 I used white and black thick card stock that I had on hand. I cut 14 white cards for the numbers measuring 9X14cm. I rounded the two bottom corners and punched two small holes on the top.
 Then I brought out my distress inks, I started by adding brushed corduroy to the edges and then I added walnut stain over that. To finish off I put a very light coat of old paper all over the front of the card.
 I then added a bronze eyelet to each hole using my crop a dile.
 Then for the days and months you'll need 19 black cards measuring 7X14cm. Round the two bottom corners and punch two small holes on the top.
 Finish off by adding an eyelet to each hole and by using a pair of open scissors to distress the edges of your card a bit.
 What I had to buy for this project was the curtain rod (it measures 33cm without counting the swirls on the ends), also the chain and some black wire to attach the cards to the rod.
 The rod cost me 6 euros, the chain (of which I only used less than half) cost 5 euros and the wire was 4 euros. So I won my challenge:) and I love how it turned out. It is now hanging in our front hall next to the front door. I'll be taking pictures of our hall now that it's mostly done and I'll post them as soon as I can:)

linking to:
Skip to My Lou